1 10 pack of empanada discs (using 4-5) 1⁄2 a cup of orange juice
2tbsp of olive oil
1⁄2 a cup of green olives halved
1⁄2 a cup of red onion sliced
1 canned adobo chili chopped
1⁄2 tbsp of Cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste
Canola oil for frying
Use leftover Elote (2 ears of corn)
3 tbsp of Mexican Crema or Mayo
1⁄4 tsp of chili powder
1⁄4 tsp of smoked paprika
1 clove of garlic minced
1 small jalapeno fine dice
1⁄4 cup of red onion fine dice
1⁄4 cup of cotija
1⁄4 cup of cilantro chopped
1 tbsp of lime juice
● In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat the olive oil and add the sliced onion. Cook until the onions are caramelized, about 10 minutes.
● Add the adobo chili pepper, cumin, orange juice, olives and bring to a simmer until sauce reduces by half about 5mins.
● Add the pernil, salt, pepper, and mix well. Remove from heat.
● Place your dough discs on a work surface. Fill half of the circles with the pernil mixture, making sure you leave at least 1/2 inch around the edge of the dough. Wet the edges, fold over the dough and crimp the sides with a fork. Chill for 30mins-1hr
● Use a heavy skillet or dutch oven and fry at 350 degrees for 4-5 mins or until they are
● Remove from oil and drain on a plate with paper towels.
● Cut leftover elote off the cob into a bowl and bring to room temperature.
● Mix with red onion, jalapeno, minced garlic, chili powder, smoked paprika, cotija, cilantro, and Mexican crema.
● Add lime juice, Salt & Pepper to taste, sprinkle with additional cotija
● Serve Pernil empanadas with a side of esquites and Derrell’s hot sauce.