- 1-30 oz Ribeye, bone-in
- Salt & Pepper
- 2 T tallow (preferably wagyu)
- 2 smashed garlic
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- Black and green peppercorns, crushed
- 1 T truffle oil
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1/3 c cognac, dry sherry, or brandy
- Some leftover wagyu tallow from steak in pan (about 1 tsp)
- Remove steak from the fridge 45 mins before cooking.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and let sit till room temp.
- Preheat cast iron skillet or heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat with 1 T of wagyu tallow
- Once steak has came to room temp season steak with salt if desired
- Cook steak undisturbed, until a deep golden brown crust forms underneath.
- With tongs make sure to cook the sides until browned about 3 mins
- Reduce heat, add smashed garlic and thyme and 1 T tallow basting steak till internal temp reaches 120-125.
- Remove steak from pan and rest on a cutting board for 5-10 mins before serving.
- In the same pan the steak was cooked in, remove crushed garlic and thyme, discard.
- Add sliced garlic, shallot, peppercorns, and 1 T truffle oil, cook on medium heat till garlic and shallots are softened.
- Remove from heat and add cognac to pan to deglaze and place it back on to the heat until liquor is mostly evaporated.
- Add cream, bring sauce to simmer and let cook until sauce coats the back of the spoon. About 1 min.
- Salt to taste
- Plate steak and pour sauce over.