- 6 fresh peeled fuji apples, diced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Disarronno (or bourbon)
- Zest of one lemon + 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour + 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Mix together apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, alcohol, and lemon zest.
- In a saucepan heat butter, and cook the apple mixture for 3-5 minutes until tender then turn off the heat.
- Mix 1 cup sugar with self-rising flour, then stir in milk and whisk until smooth.
- Pour mixture over the melted butter, and ladle apples and the syrup onto the batter. DO NOT STIR!
- Bake at 380F for 35-40 minutes.
- Let rest for a few minutes before serving with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream